Monday, January 29, 2018

Harlem Renaissance Icon

One icon that stood out to me was Dylan’s icon, Arthur Schomburg. He dedicated his entire life to proving his elementary school teacher wrong. She said that black people will never have any heroes or accomplish anything good. So Arthur set out to prove her wrong, for the good of his people. He became a historian, and spread awareness for African-Americans. I admired his perseverance and his goal. I think it is amazing that he accomplished what he set out to do.

Another icon that stood out to me was my own icon, Jacob Lawrence. He was a painter, and even after a rough childhood, he achieved great things. He was a painter and teacher. He was also an active social realist. He spread awareness for black people through many of his paintings. He also spoke publicly. And he taught for 15 years at the University of Washington. I admire him for being able to break the “color barrier” through his activism. It is very inspiring for me and probably other people as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment