Thursday, December 15, 2016

Found Poetry - I do my best to love everybody

I do my best to love everybody
Thomas Jefferson once said that all men are created equal
You'll see that white men cheat black men
But let me tell you something
Whenever a white man does that to a black man

No matter who he is
How rich he is
Or how fine a family he comes from
That white man is trash

The evil assumption
That all Negroes are basically immoral beings
Is a lie as black as Tom Robinson's skin
Seventeen bullet holes in him
They didn't have to shoot him that much
I'd rather it be me

4 comments:

  1. This poem is about how Atticus view black people. How he treats them respect, and love them like any other white man. Every line from this poem was said by Atticus. And sort of shows the injustice that a lot of Maycomb County is doing to them. And since everyone thinks that black people are under white people (back then) it also might imply that Atticus holds them as high, or higher than white people as well, because most of them are actually good people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good poem, but I think it would be better if it were a little longer and more elaborate. I do like this, though. The main problem is that a lot of the phrases were already right next to eachother in the actual book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job, Clement. You did a great job capturing the way Atticus was shown to feel of black people. It may have been a tad been all over the place, but it worked out together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this poem, but the quotes are complete sentences and aren't being altered that much from their original meaning.

    ReplyDelete